You’re one click away from mastering the best League of Legends support champions! Dive into the world of Thresh, Bard, and Rakan, and discover the secrets that make them the ultimate game-changers. Are you ready to level up your support game? Let’s go!
- Top 3 LOL support champions: Thresh, Bard, and Rakan
- Insights from pro player Doublelift
- Thresh’s popularity in the 2021 LCS
- Unique tips to maximize each champion’s potential
- 5-10 relevant FAQs about support champions
Meet the Rift’s Best Support Champions
According to U.GG, the top three best LOL support champions as of September 2021 are Thresh, Bard, and Rakan. In this article, we’ll explore what makes these champs so extraordinary, and provide you with the ultimate tips and tricks to dominate the Rift.
Thresh: The Chain Warden
With a whopping 52.8% pick rate in the 2021 League of Legends Championship Series (LCS), Thresh has undoubtedly earned his spot among the best support champions. His versatile kit, including crowd control, peeling, and initiation abilities, allows him to adapt to various game situations.
Pro Tip: Master Thresh’s Flay (E) to interrupt enemy dashes and deny engage attempts.
Bard: The Wandering Caretaker
Bard’s unique playstyle revolves around roaming and collecting chimes to power up his Meeps. His ability to create magical journeys and his game-changing ultimate, Tempered Fate, make him an unpredictable and impactful support.
Pro Tip: Use Bard’s Magical Journey (E) to set up unexpected ganks and escape sticky situations.
Rakan: The Charmer
As a versatile engage support, Rakan shines with his flashy playmaking and strong crowd control abilities. His synergy with Xayah is also worth noting, as their combined kit becomes even more potent.
Pro Tip: Pair Rakan’s Grand Entrance (W) with The Quickness (R) for an unexpected and powerful engage.
Words of Wisdom from Doublelift
In the words of Yiliang “Doublelift” Peng, a professional League of Legends player, “A great support can make or break a game. They’re the unsung heroes of the Rift.” Indeed, a skilled support player can have a significant impact on the game’s outcome.
Jack Miller’s Secret Support Tips
As an experienced gaming journalist, I’ve seen my fair share of support gameplay. Here are some lesser-known tips to help you excel as a support main:
- Communicate with your ADC and team
- Keep an eye on the minimap and provide vision with wards
- Learn when to roam and when to stay with your ADC
- Adapt your playstyle based on your team’s needs
Expanding Your Support Champion Pool
While Thresh, Bard, and Rakan are the top 3 support champions, there are plenty of other strong choices to consider. Here, we’ll introduce you to three more outstanding support champions that can help you diversify your gameplay.
Lulu: The Fae Sorceress
Lulu excels at protecting her allies with a combination of shields, crowd control, and her powerful ultimate, Wild Growth. She’s a great pick when your team needs an enchanter support to empower hyper-carry champions.
Pro Tip: Use Lulu’s Whimsy (W) to polymorph enemy assassins or divers to protect your carries.
Nautilus: The Titan of the Depths
Nautilus is a tanky support with a kit filled with crowd control abilities. His hook, Dredge Line, can initiate fights and pick off enemies, making him an excellent choice for aggressive, engage-heavy compositions.
Pro Tip: Utilize Nautilus’ passive, Staggering Blow, to chain crowd control and lock down priority targets.
Leona: The Radiant Dawn
Leona is a tank support with incredible engage and crowd control potential. Her Solar Flare ultimate can turn the tide of team fights, while her passive, Sunlight, provides additional damage to her team.
Pro Tip: Chain Leona’s abilities for a devastating crowd control combo: Zenith Blade (E) > Shield of Daybreak (Q) > Eclipse (W).
Adapting Your Support Playstyle
A successful support player can adapt to various team compositions, game situations, and champion matchups. Here are some tips on how to adjust your playstyle as a support:
- Identify the win condition of your team and play accordingly
- Adjust your item build based on the enemy team’s threats and your team’s needs
- Play aggressively or defensively, depending on the matchup and game state
- Adapt your roaming and warding patterns to the game’s flow
By mastering these aspects of support gameplay, you’ll be well on your way to becoming the backbone of your team. Keep practicing, and enjoy the journey of becoming a versatile support player!
Advanced Warding Tactics for Support Champions
As a support player, vision control is a crucial aspect of your role. Here are some advanced warding tactics to help you gain the upper hand over your opponents:
- Deep warding: Place wards in the enemy jungle to track their jungler’s movements and predict ganks.
- Objective control: Use Control Wards and Oracle Lens around objectives like Dragon and Baron to deny enemy vision.
- Warding flanks: Place wards on potential flank routes to protect your team from surprise engages.
- Bush control: Use vision to control lane bushes, making it harder for enemy supports to engage or poke.
Support Synergies: Combining Forces for Success
Support champions can amplify their impact by synergizing with their ADC or other teammates. Here are some popular support synergies that can enhance your gameplay:
Thresh + Kalista: The Unbreakable Duo
Thresh’s lantern combined with Kalista’s Fate’s Call creates an incredibly difficult duo to catch. They can engage and disengage with ease, making them a potent force on the Rift.
Bard + Caitlyn: The Trap Masters
Bard’s Cosmic Binding and Caitlyn’s Yordle Snap Trap form a deadly combo. Bard can stun enemies against a wall or trap, allowing Caitlyn to chain her trap for extended crowd control and burst damage.
Rakan + Xayah: The Featherstorm Lovers
Rakan and Xayah’s kits are designed to complement each other, making them a powerful duo. Their combined engage, crowd control, and damage output can quickly turn the tide of a fight.
Lulu + Kog’Maw: The Hyper-Carry Protectors
Lulu’s kit is perfect for keeping a hyper-carry like Kog’Maw alive. Her shields, speed boosts, and ultimate, along with Kog’Maw’s damage output, create a near-unstoppable force.
Leona + Draven: The Aggressive Lane Dominators
Leona’s crowd control combined with Draven’s high early-game damage makes them an aggressive and oppressive bot lane. They can snowball early leads and carry their team to victory.
Understanding and Adapting to Bot Lane Matchups
The bot lane matchup is a delicate dance between support and ADC champions. Knowing when to play aggressively or defensively, and how to capitalize on your opponents’ weaknesses, is crucial for success. Here are some tips for adapting to different bot lane matchups:
- Engage vs. Poke: Engage supports can struggle against poke-heavy lanes. Look for all-in opportunities when the enemy is low on health or resources, or wait for jungle assistance.
- Poke vs. Sustain: Poke supports should focus on whittling down sustain supports and their ADC. Deny their healing and look for opportunities to secure kills.
- Sustain vs. Engage: Sustain supports should focus on keeping their ADC healthy and surviving the enemy’s engage attempts. Position carefully and peel for your ADC.
- Mirror matchups: When both bot lanes have similar playstyles, pay attention to cooldowns, trading patterns, and power spikes to gain an advantage.
By understanding and adapting to bot lane matchups, you’ll become a more versatile and effective support player. Continuously learn and improve your knowledge of different champion interactions to make the best decisions for your team.
Support Champion Pool Recommendations
A well-rounded support champion pool is essential for being able to adapt to various team compositions and matchups. Consider adding these champions to your repertoire based on their playstyles:
- Alistar: A tanky engage support with strong crowd control and excellent peel for his teammates.
- Blitzcrank: The infamous Rocket Grab makes Blitzcrank a constant threat, able to pick off enemies and create opportunities for his team.
- Soraka: The Starchild excels at healing and keeping her teammates alive, making her a great addition to any team needing extra sustain.
- Nami: A versatile enchanter support with strong sustain, crowd control, and engage potential.
- Zyra: A high damage poke support with strong zoning capabilities and team fight presence.
- Vel’Koz: The Eye of the Void brings long-range poke and true damage to the table, making him a powerful mage support.
- Senna: A hybrid support and marksman, Senna offers both healing and damage, making her a unique addition to any team composition.
- Pyke: A slippery assassin support with the ability to execute enemies and share gold with his teammates.
What makes a good support champion?
A good support champion typically has strong crowd control, utility, and peeling abilities. They should be able to provide vision, protect their ADC, and assist in setting up plays for their team.
Are there other strong support champions besides Thresh, Bard, and Rakan?
Yes, there are many strong support champions, such as Lulu, Nautilus, and Leona. The “best” support champion depends on individual playstyle and team composition.
How do I choose the right support for my team?
Consider your team’s composition, strengths, and weaknesses when selecting a support. Look for synergies with your ADC, and choose a support that complements your team’s overall strategy.
How can I improve my vision control as a support?
To improve vision control, buy and place control wards, sweep for enemy wards, and use Oracle Lens. Keep an eye on the minimap and track enemy movements to anticipate their plays.
Should I always follow my ADC?
While it’s important to protect and support your ADC, there are times when roaming to help other lanes or secure objectives can be more beneficial. Learn when to roam and when to stay with your ADC based on the game’s flow.
Final Thoughts on Support Mastery
Becoming a master support player in League of Legends takes time, dedication, and a deep understanding of various champions, matchups, and game strategies. By continuously expanding your knowledge, refining your mechanics, and adapting to different situations, you’ll soon find yourself climbing the ranks and leaving a lasting impact on the Rift as a support.
Remember to stay positive, learn from your mistakes, and most importantly, have fun! The support role is filled with exciting opportunities to shape the outcome of the game, and with the right mindset and dedication, you’ll soon become an invaluable asset to any team.
Your Personal Support Champion Conclusion
Whether you’re a fan of Thresh’s chains, Bard’s whimsical journeys, or Rakan’s charismatic engages, these support champions offer endless possibilities for impactful gameplay. Remember, communication, vision control, and adaptability are key to mastering the support role. Now, go forth and conquer the Rift as the unsung hero your team needs!