As advantageous as PCs and consoles are when it comes to gaming, you might often want to carry your game with you in a portable device, tablet, or smartphone. One problem that arises during these times is the internet connection. Most games these days need the internet to work.
Thankfully, with portable hotspots, you don’t have to worry about getting connected to the internet even if you are not at home. Mobile hotspots can connect just about any device with a Wi-Fi service, and the best part is, they can support several devices simultaneously.
With millions of gamers worldwide, gaming is one of the biggest industries in the entertainment world. Gaming enthusiasts require a high-speed and solid connection for struggle-free gaming. Dealing with an unstable or slow connection is something you wouldn’t want as a gamer as it would have a great inverse-effect on your game performance.
If you are looking for the best mobile hotspot for gaming, you’re in luck! Below here are some of our top picks of the best mobile hotspots for gaming that will make your gaming experience anywhere as convenient and smooth as in your living room. But before heading to the list of products, let’s take a look at some of the factors you need to keep in mind before buying a portable hotspot.
In a hurry? Here are our top picks for the best hotspots for gaming!
What are the characteristics of an excellent mobile hotspot?
- Transmission Speed: The ideal data transmission speed for gaming is 4G and 4G LTE. So you should look for the one that you think will provide you ample data speed. Nevertheless, both 4G and 4G LTE should be sufficient for gaming.
- Compatibility: There are some hotspots that work only with a SIM card. Ensure that the mobile hotspot you plan to buy is compatible with your SIM card, as not all mobile hotspots are suitable for all SIM cards. Buying a branded device shouldn’t be a problem if you don’t plan to travel with it. You can opt for an unlocked device if you want to carry it anywhere you travel to, as you can use any SIM card with it.
- Easy Set-Up and User-friendly: One of the common issues people face with routers while traveling is the technical work involved in setting it up. It includes selecting the preferred networks, API settings, and so on. Thankfully, we have various options now that are very user-friendly and easy to use. Make sure you learn how to use the device when you buy it.
- Network: Portable hotspots work through existing networks. You would want to make sure that the hotspot you’re buying is reliable in the place you are planning to use it.
- Budget: While other factors are important, you need to check out the products keeping your budget in mind. There are a variety of brands out there that can provide you your needs at a fair price range. Generally, hotspots cost around $100 to $250, but there are cheaper and more expensive options too.
- Battery Life: It refers to the life duration of your hotspot before you need to charge it again. Running out of battery while traveling away from home or during the middle of your game can be annoying. As most of us are always on the internet, we would want to carry a reliable hotspot that can last all day when we go out. If you need a mobile hotspot that will last long, you need to choose one with strong battery life. A 5000 mAh battery should be enough to last over a day and also be a powerbank for other devices.
- Weight and Size: This is another important factor that you might want to consider as you would want your portable hotspot to be light and easy enough to carry around. The weight and size of your ideal hotspot device will depend on where you plan to travel along with it.
- Visual Display: Mobile hotspots can sometimes face connectivity issues while traveling due to low signal. A visual display feature on your device will be helpful as it will provide you with information on the signal strength, internet issues, and the condition of the device itself. It can also track and show the data usage, battery level, and other necessary details.
1. Netgear Nighthawk M1 4G LTE Router – Premium Pick
If you want a mobile hotspot that works on AT&T, the Netgear Nighthawk router is one of our favorite picks for you. It can host up to twenty devices through 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi. Loaded with a battery of 5,040 mAh and quick-charging, you can use this device one whole day without any issues.
This product from Netgear has one USB port that allows you to attach a storage device for sharing data and streaming media. Its large LCD screen of 2.4 inches makes the device highly user-friendly and informative. You can have the information on data usage, network, and signal strength at your fingertips.
Whether you are at home or on the go, the Netgear Nighthawk portable hotspot router is a product you can rely on to give you speed and reliable internet, which you can use not only to ace your favorite games but also do tons of other works.
2. Nommi: Mobile Hotspot – Best Overall
Boasting as the first e-SIM hotspot device in the world, the Nommi mobile hotspot has a built-in VPN and is backed by a whopping 10000 mAh power bank. You can use it for up to 48 hours and charge it on the go as you travel. Another awesome feature of this mobile hotspot is that you wouldn’t need to buy a SIM card every time you go abroad or spend a lot on data roaming. You can enjoy fast internet and stay online in more than 150 countries by paying no more than $3 a day.
Using the Nommi mobile hotspot as a Wi-Fi extender, you can effortlessly switch between your data connection and available Wi-Fi in your surrounding area. The in-built VPN provides security when it comes to connecting your device to public Wi-Fi. The pay-as-you-go packages are compatible with T-mobile, Verizon, Mint SIM cards, and more.
This hotspot is one of your top choices if you want an all-in-one product that provides you the advantages of having a Wi-Fi extender, power bank, mobile hotspot, and built-in VPN.
3. Alcatel Linkzone Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot – Budget Pick
Weighing only a few over 3 ounces, this unlocked mobile hotspot device is so compact and portable that you can carry it in your pocket everywhere to go to enjoy a safe and high-speed internet connection. It connects to up to fifteen devices, delivering Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n connectivity.
Compared to the other options here, this mobile hotspot has a battery capacity of only 1800 mAh; however, it can give a backup of up to six hours. So unless you require having an internet connection 24 hours a day, it shouldn’t be a problem.
Although the device doesn’t have a display where you can see the signal strength and other details, you can download the Alcatel web app to keep an eye on them. It works on any Micro-SIM card, which you need to get separately.
With the Alcatel Linkzone Mobile hotspot, you need to make sure to charge the battery for a maximum of ten hours only, after which it is crucial to unplug it as it will damage the battery and cause malfunction.
This product may not have all the features of your ideal mobile hotspot, but it is quite a decent product for its price point.
With the ability to connect up to five users simultaneously, the GlocalMe G4 Pro is an excellent option if you want a mobile hotspot that is highly user-friendly and fuss-free. It has an attractive large touch screen display design and comes in two colors- black and gold. You can use this hotspot device in over one hundred countries efficiently. Unique to others, the GlocalMe hotspot comes with an app for providing travel tips.
Another great feature about his product is that it offers an uninterrupted backup of up to 15 hours with its 3900 mAh battery. The USB-C port that is built in the device allows fast-charging of other devices. What makes this hotspot convenient is that you don’t have to buy a SIM card every time you travel to another country.
The G4 Pro intelligently and automatically selects the best available local network, so you don’t have to deal with network congestion problems. You can rely on it to provide super-speed 4G internet. Being one of the few products that offer convenience, efficiency, and a hassle-free experience for users, the GlocalMe is a product that people have great reviews about.
Need a connectivity solution that fail-proof? You might want to check out our next recommended product- the Netgear 4G LTE Broadband Modem. You can connect this product to your broadband connection to get an automatic LTE backup.
This product is great for use in areas where broadband services are poor and weak. Suppose you are traveling to a rural area where you still need to work or keep playing your favorite online games. In that case, you can use the Netgear modem as your primary connection and enjoy uninterrupted internet services.
This 4G LTE mobile modem from Netgear is going to be a game-changer for those living in areas where internet connectivity is frustrating. Just connect it to your Wi-FI router and enjoy fast internet. The modem works best with T-Mobile and AT&T when unlocked. It also works with all Micro-SIM cards.
You can take the broadband modem with you anywhere you go if you need fast internet. All you need to do is plug it into a power source. Enjoy smooth HD streaming, video calls, gaming, and pretty much anything with its 150 Mbps speed.
The next product on our list is the 4G LTE mobile hotspot by Skyroam, a product that works excellently and comes at an affordable price and a sleek and stylish design. If you are one of the persons who are concerned about the risks of connecting to a public network, you will love this one!
Whether you are going to the beach, park, or even out of the continent, you are going to have your own high-speed portable hotspot! Covering several top destinations in South and North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, And Australia, the Skyroam Solis Lite will save your day when you need an internet connection.
The virtual SIM technology of this device saves you from the hassle of swapping SIMs. It is lightweight at portable, so you can carry it anywhere you go. The mobile hotspot allows you to share your connection with up to ten users. With flexible data plans, starting at $3 per gigabytes, you can change your plans according to your requirements anytime.
The two 4700 mAh Li-Ion batteries will provide you with a backup of up to 16 hours, so there is no worrying about running low on battery and losing your connection even when you are using the hotspot the whole day.
This dark and sleek router hotspot from Reliance is the product you are looking for if you are on a tight budget but still need to keep up with your work and entertainment sessions. But do not be fooled by its low price; it is one of the top picks when it comes to great functionality and high affordability.
Supporting all 4G SIMS, ZTE presents you with the Reliance router 4G LTE 850/1800/2300 MHz. It can connect to up to thirty-one devices simultaneously, a feature that you wouldn’t see in many hotspot devices. The router hotspot delivers high-speed connectivity up to 150 Mbps with a 50 Mbps upload speed. You can connect the mobile hotspot to your laptop, smartphone, tablet, and pretty much any Wi-Fi-enabled device to enjoy undisturbed streaming and playing online games.
Last but not least, the Nighthawk M1 MR1100 Mobile Hotspot Router for AT&T by Netgear is the perfect product for those who want a mobile hotspot that is guaranteed to work excellently. Although the original packaging isn’t available, it is absolutely functional and in perfect condition.
You can now keep your family and friends entertained as this router allows uninterrupted HD video streaming, playing online games, and listening to your favorite music. Being able to connect to up to twenty devices with Wi-Fi is one of the key features that make the MR1100 a real contender. You can stream hundreds of videos, movies and share personal media through a microSD or a Pendrive.
It also comes with a parental control feature that lets you filter websites and content on every device the router is connected to. You can rely on the safety of your connectivity as the Nighthawk LTE mobile hotspot router has password protection. Amazon-certified suppliers have tested, inspected, and cleaned this pre-owned device. Therefore, you can expect a perfectly working product with no cosmetic defects visible from about a meter distance.
You might not get the original accessories; however, they will be fully functional and compatible with the device. One great feature of this product is that you can block unwanted devices from connecting, filter contents, and schedule the connection.
Frequently Asked Questions:
A hotspot device catches signals from towers nearby or around the area you are using it. It then creates a Wi-Fi signal network that you can connect your devices to use the internet. Just like phones, hotspot devices work on SIM cards. You have to subscribe to a plan and put the SIM card into the hotspot device.
You can get a hotspot device if the network connectivity isn’t strong in your area or if you want to have your own internet wherever you go. Having a portable hotspot ensures your security as opposed to connecting to a public Wi-Fi. You can connect the hotspot to several devices at once and enjoy high-speed internet on the go.
Some steps you can do to improve your hotspot’s signal strength are as follows:
1. Ensure that you are not away from a network coverage area.
2. Change the location of the device if the signal strength is weak in the current location.
3. Try and place the device far from large obstacles like ceilings and walls as they can decrease the signal strength.
4. Place the hotspot in the center of your home and in a high position. Ensure that there is ample space around it.
You can use your hotspot device anywhere you take it as long there is 4G or 4G LTE coverage in the area. You also need to have an active data plan and a charged device.
Here are some of the ways you can extend your hotspot’s battery life:
1. Turn the device off when not in use.
2. Connect the device to your computer using the micro-USB cable instead of turning on the Wi-Fi.
3. Keep a check on the number of devices you connect to the hotspot.
4. If it has an LCD, you can decrease its standby time and brightness.
It is clear that you have quite a good range of choices when it comes to buying the best mobile hotspot. They may not be a match to the internet connection at your home, but you will still be happy with the connection as a gamer. Pay attention and remember the features that will prolong the battery life and enhance its speed, and you should be good to go!