The internet has undoubtedly become one of the most essential and versatile lifelines to access everything – communication, business, education, banking, video game consoles, or entertainment. One widespread interest among many is online gaming and using powerline adapters to enhance connectivity for a solid gaming experience.
If you are a gamer and are looking to purchase and install a powerline adapter for your gaming console or PC, read through this buyer’s guide. This buyer’s manual for the best powerline adapters for gaming has been listed after thorough research of the powerline adapters, along with an in-depth overview of customer reviews.
In a hurry? Here are our top picks when it comes to the best powerline adapters for gaming in 2021!
Do Powerline Adapters Work For Gaming?
A powerline adapter is a perfect example of a “bridging” technology to create a home network. Powerline adapters are small devices that work by making use of the existing electrical wiring of a home.
Powerline adapters are a bridge of connection between an internet access point (your home router) and your gaming console. With the help of your existing electrical copper wiring at home, powerline adapters send internet and data signals across your home.
The modus operandi for online gaming is good internet connectivity, low latency, and minimum lag. Latency is a measure of the network’s time to deliver data packets from the connected device’s source.
Low latency indicates that your home network connection for your gaming console is strong, stable, and reliable. A high lag (poor and slow network) causes lag in the game. A lag is crucial because it can lead to a match loss or death in the online game if the lag is high.
The solution for a lag-free internet connection with high speed and maximum reliability for gaming is a Powerline Adapter. They are easy to install and comes in an affordable price range. Therefore, powerline adapters are an intelligent investment for gamers.
The Best Powerline Adapters for Gaming – Comparison Table
The Best Powerline Adapters for Gaming in 2021
|Powerline Adapter||Max Speed||WiFi||Price|
|NETGEAR Powerline||1000mbps||Yes||Check Price|
|TP-Link AV1000||1000mbps||No||Check Price|
|D-Link Powerline||1300mbps||Yes||Check Price|
|TP-Link AV1300||1300-1500mbps||Yes||Check Price|
|NexusLink G.hn||1200mbps||No||Check Price|
|Zyxel G.hn 2400||2400mbps||No||Check Price|
|Comtrend G.hn||1200mbps||No||Check Price|
The NETGEAR powerline adapter is the best overall powerline adapter for gaming. With a high-performing speed of 1000 Mbps and its Homeplug AV2, you can also extend your Wi-Fi network at 1Gbps speeds.
It is one of the most accessible powerline adapters to set up. It also has a particular type of “push-and-secure” facility that encrypts and secures your internet connection. You can also connect multiple adapters to enhance the coverage of your home network to all your devices.
This adapter is compatible with the system devices – Microsoft Windows 7 & 8, Vista, XP, or Mac OS X.
The Netgear powerline adapter also comes with a Wi-Fi Powerline extender, providing easy access and coverage of internet connection to both wired and wireless devices across the house. It is an Ideal powerline adapter for gaming, allowing a lag-free gaming experience and a smooth 4K HD streaming.
The TP-Link AV1000 is a highly affordable powerline adapter for gaming. Considering its high functionality compared to other adapters at the same price range, TP-Link is the best pick for a budget powerline adapter for gaming.
It comes with a gigabit Ethernet port, which provides a secure wire network for your gaming consoles. It is effortless to set up – plug it in and start using it for your gaming.
It is user-friendly, easy to set up the device and start using it. It also has a sleek, compact, and modern design.
One of the prime features is its patent technology that allows the power saving mode.
This adapter is a COVR hybrid module offering both high-speed wired as well as Wi-Fi connectivity. It is also an easy set-up, plug-and-use adapter, allowing seamless connection to gaming consoles and HD streaming.
D-link powerline Wi-Fi adapter comes with a dual-band for complete home internet coverage – a Wi-Fi home network along with a powerline of AV2 1300.
Additionally, it comes with two COVR points that create an exclusive Wi-Fi zone of about AC1200, which further aids in better Wi-Fi coverage across the home. This feature also allows the connection to detect and connect to the strongest signal automatically.
With the set of high functionality and features, it is more expensive than most other powerline adapters. Under the premium pick, the D-Link powerline Wi-Fi adapter is the best powerline adapter for gaming.
It is a dual-band powerline adapter meaning it comes with both wired and integrated Wi-Fi. With the touch of a Wi-Fi clone button, it automatically copies your router’s network name (SSID) and password and connects you to the Wi-Fi.
It provides high speed and a seamless connection. The Ethernet connection over power usage gives about 1300 Mbps, while the dual-band allows a rate of about 1350 Mbps.
One feature plus point is that its fully functional operating temperature ranges from 0˚C- 40˚C (32˚F – 104˚F).
It supports home plug AV2 that works efficiently at a home current of about 110 to 240 volt. Multiple adapters can also be to it, including a gigabit port. It uptakes low power usage and saves about 85% of power consumption.
It is one of the most advanced powerline adapters, providing high internet speed with high stability.
It uses a G.hn instead of the usual Home Plug. This technology increases the performance of a powerline adapter over regular adapters and provides an improved real-world performance.
NexusLink uses two advanced technology in its functioning –
- NDIM Signal Segregation Technology that allows constant internet connection even in high-density environments. (Eg. Offices, apartments, and hotels).
- FEC (forward error correction) technology significantly reduces lag and drop frames, making it an excellent powerline adapter for gaming.
The extended coverage of Internet connectivity across the house is easily achievable with NexusLink’s versatile, expandable systems- Power over the internet, Wi-Fi, and expandable Ethernet connectivity.
Zyxel G.hn powerline adapters promise to convert normal powerline into a supersonic network. It follows an easy-to-set-up, plug-and-use type user module.
With its inbuilt G.hn wave two technology, it delivers a super-fast network of about 2400 Mbps. It allows for a lag-free online gaming experience and a smooth 8k video streaming and viewing.
It comes with a Gigabit Ethernet port that connects to all Ethernet devices at a high gigabit speed. One outstanding feature is that it has a pass-through outlet, so there is no wastage of a power outlet socket.
It also has a unique noise filter unit making it a noise-free powerline adapter. It also goes into standby mode when not in use and thereby helps in reducing power consumption.
TRENDnetpowerline adapters come with two powerline adapters for high internet speed delivery. It includes an AV2 adapter kit that delivers up to 1300 Mbps speed.
It is one of the best options of powerline adapter for gaming and 4k video streaming with high speed. It also has a gigabit port and can use up to 8 devices simultaneously with a smooth internet connection.
It is a product with MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output) technologies, meaning it used the home electric wire’s live, ground, and neutral wires to enhance the performance between adapters.
It is easy to set up and use. It is also compatible with different powerline adapters and windows devices – windows 7 & above, Vista, XP.
A Comtrend adapter has an advanced set-up with G.hn technology for smooth connectivity and an FEC (forward error correction) technology to provide lag-free interphase. Therefore, it makes it a good choice for powerline adapters for gaming.
The real-world performance is excellent for powerline adapters with G.hn technology compared to the standard of a current source-powered powerline adapter.
It comes with two-gigabit Ethernet ports. In addition, there is minimum interference, which increases the overall internet throughput. At a time, it can connect about 10 -15 devices with a G.hn powerline network.
It offers easy plug-and-play usage. It also enhances power saving with reduced energy consumption and standby mode when not in use.
Some Frequently asked questions:
Why should I buy a powerline adapter?
To keep your many devices connected to the internet, you have two primary methods-
1. Wi-Fi: To connect the devices in your home using a wireless internet connection, you can use a Wi-Fi connection. Here, the data (internet) is transmitted through and over radio waves without wires.
2. Ethernet: Here, the data is transmitted using Ethernet wires and cables. It is an expensive investment and is sometimes inconvenient, as it requires hardwiring all the devices that need and works with an internet connection.
In most cases, it is impossible to hardwire all your gaming consoles to the router directly (ethernet cables). Sometimes, it requires very long wires, as the router and devices’ location can be in different rooms. Additionally, a Wi-Fi connection can sometimes be unreliable if your gaming console is far away from the Wi-Fi router. Therefore, powerline adapters are the go-to solution for the requirement of a good, speedy, and stable internet connection.
You should purchase a Powerline adapter, as they are the foremost alternative over Wi-Fi and Ethernet, especially for gaming because of two prime reasons –
- Wi-Fi sometimes has glitches – slow speed and dead spots.
- Ethernet needs running cables – for hardwiring across many devices and running the network cables across the walls for different rooms where the devices are present.
What is the best Powerline adapter on the market today?
With the ease and functionality that powerline adapters offer, dozens of powerline adapters are available for consumers. The powerline adapters come in different price ranges, offering various options in terms of function and technology.
To shortlist one particular powerline product as the best powerline adapter in the market would be unfair, as various factors need to be considered. However, we recommend that you refer to our detailed article of a buyer’s guide of the best powerline adapters for 2021. Through the article writing, you can check and compare some of the best powerline adapters available in the market today that would specifically cater to your requirement.
Here is a brief idea of the factors that determine the best powerline adapters that catering to specific requirements of the consumers-
- Connection Speed: Powerline adapters provide data connectivity speeds ranging from 200 Mbps to super-high-speed 1300Mbps.
The connection speed requirement would depend on which devices you would often use at your home– computer, phones, electronics, gaming consoles, etc.
An AV powerline adapter faster than 300Mbps works great for your streaming purposes –videos/audios on the smart TV, computer.
For 4kHD video streaming, a powerline adapter of 800Mbps-1200Mbps works best.
- For gaming purposes: For gaming, the only requirement is a fair good connection but minimum network lag. Since a powerline adapter’s primary function is to create minimum lag, all powerline adapters are relatively good for gaming. A powerline adapter of speed range between 600-1200 Mbps provides a lag-free gaming experience.
- Security: If you want enhanced security over your internet signals and connectivity, it is advisable to choose adapters with a 128-bit AES encryption technology.
- Budget: The amount you are willing to spend on your powerline adapter also matters. A premium powerline adapter supporting all advanced features – 128-bit AES encryption technology for security, more Ethernet ports, more power-saving features, in-built Wi-Fi connectivity, speed of 1200 and above, etc., can come at a premium price range of $100 & above. Most good-performing powerline adapters fall at the price range of $60-$90. Some excellent powerline adapters are also available starting from $49, with budget picks ranging up to $60.
Are Powerline adapters worth it?
The answer to if powerline adapters are worth it relies on answering three basic questions you need to answer for yourself?
1. Does your traditional home Wi-Fi network have dead spots free across all the rooms, and is the stability of the connection the same across all rooms in your house?
2. Do you want to drill holes across your walls and house to hardwire your devices with an Ethernet cable for a stable internet connection across the rooms in your home?
If the answer to both the questions is “No,” then you need a Powerline Adapter for your home network.
Five reasons why Powerline adapters for gaming are worth it-
- Reliability: For any online gaming, a pre-requisite is a reliable internet connection. Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections are not entirely trustworthy. But powerline adapters are conveniently and comparatively dedicated for a stable connection.
- Minimum Lag: Online gaming does not require super-speed internet; it only requires a lag-free connection. With powerline adapters, the other devices in the house are not competing for a signal like a Wi-Fi router connection. Since there is no competition and fewer network disruption chances, there is minimum or no-lag and thereby enhances gaming performance.
- Affordable: Hardwiring across your home can be a costly affair. However, powerline adapters come in a comprehensive and affordable price range. It consumes very little electricity too. Therefore, it is not only reasonable prices but requires just bare minimum installation maintenance.
- Simplicity: Powerline adapters have the most straightforward set-up process. It is user-friendly – easy to plug it in and sync across the devices and start using.
- Portable: Powerline adapters come in compact and portable sizes. Powerline adapters’ portability proves to be an extra advantageous attribute for those who are staying in a rented place and relocate often. You can take it with you anywhere you go, anytime you want.
How much electricity do Powerline adapters use?
How a powerline adapter works is that it uses a house’s existing electrical connection to enhance the internet connection across the house. Since it is powered by electricity and remains plugged into the mains socket, many beginner buyers and customers get apprehensive about the electricity consumption and electricity bills associated with Powerline adapters.
The good news is that powerline adapters use almost a negligible amount of electricity. Most powerline adapters come with an energy-saving mode. They go into standby mode when not in use, even if it is plugged in, reducing power consumption.
On average, powerline adapters consume as little as 2W-3W of electricity. It roughly amounts to $0.0027 – $0.0030 per day, for the usage of about 10 hours a day. So in a year, it equates to about $1. Besides, even if you run the powerline adapter for 24*7, a year’s bill amounts to about $2 only.
The above estimation is for a single powerline adapter. Owning several powerline adapters will add up to the total electricity bill too. Some of the premium models with additional features can consume a little more power than most powerline adapters. Even with the premium powerline adapters, the overall electricity bill ranges from $10-$40 per year, which is still cheap.