Braum is a very to-the-point tank support champion in League of Legends. He follows the basic principles of being a tank support; great cc, great peel, an ability that allows him to tank, and above-average base stats to compensate for the XP sharing in the botlane. Braum’s concept exists to be as annoying as possible while turning around and blocking every auto attack thrown on your carry when the enemy ADC turns around to hit them.
You should know this about Braum as a champion in League of Legends.
Braum is primarily a Tank champion in League of Legends. His Q and R do have an AP ratio but since he is reliant on being successful by building tank, he cannot utilize those ap ratios.
However, he can possibly build AD due to an advantage in the form of stuns and slows on his passive and his Q. Braum is known to tank and block projectiles with his E like Yasuo does with his W, and he is allowed to do this by building Tank, not ability power.
Braum makes use of the good old “peel your ADC” tactics to forge his way to victory. At his core, he is not a very useful champion. However, when paired with an appropriate auto attacker, he forms into an excellent support pick who can make use of his spells to avoid certain situations that would have otherwise resulted in death.
Braum makes use of his tank nature to apply his passive via auto attacks or his Q to multiple people in team fights to enhance his team’s ability to chase and eliminate the enemy carries.
However, Braum is not one of the most played supports in the game. In fact, Braum is considered one of the least popular supports in League of Legends, simply because other supports can do what he does but better.
Is Full Tank Braum Worth It In LoL?
Braum can be played in various ways with an everchanging set of items, but today we will be focusing on one specific build that offers the best of both worlds. In short, yes, full tank Braum can make or break a game depending on the dexterity of the player. That’s not to say that full tank Braum will net you any kills though, as this build is purely for the purposes of enabling and peeling your carries to the fullest.
How Do You Play Full Tank Braum In LoL?
If you are looking for a build for Braum that will dominate while working well in the current meta, We have it.
Best Runes for Full Tank Braum in LoL:
- Guardian- While within 350 units of an allied champion, you raise your Guard. Allied champions you affect with unit-targeted abilities are also Guarded for 3 seconds, regardless of distance.
If you or a Guarded ally would take 90 − 250 (based on level) damage within 2.5 seconds or lethal damage from an enemy champion, monster or turret, you both gain a 45 − 120 (based on level) (+ 12.5% of Guardian’s AP) (+ 8% of Guardian’s bonus health) shield for 2 seconds, and this has a cooldown of 90-45 seconds (based on your level) This helps synergize your runes with your W as you can risk taking a bad trade and relying on your Guardian rune to make up for the lost health via a shield.
- Font of Life- Slowing or immobilizing an enemy champion marks them for 4 seconds.
Allied champions (excluding you) who basic attack marked enemies heal for 5 (+ 0.9% of your maximum health) over 1.75 seconds.
- Bone Plating- After taking damage from an enemy champion, for 1.5 seconds, the next 3 spells or attacks you receive from the same enemy champion deal 30 − 60 (based on level) less damage (including true damage).
- Unflinching- Gain 5% − 25% (based on missing health) slow resist and tenacity.
- Biscuit Delivery- Receive a Biscuit at 2:00, 4:00, and 6:00. Consuming a Biscuit will instantly restore 40 mana and permanently increase your maximum mana by the same amount, in addition to its effects.
- Cosmic Insight- Gain 18 summoner spell haste and 10 item haste.
For bonuses, go AP and double armor or Mr depending on the matchup.
Best Tank Braum Item build in Season 12 (in order):
- Plated Steelcaps / Mercury’s Treads- Significant boost to your tankiness versus auto-attacking champions including but not limited to ADCs / Good Magic resistance source as well as additional tenacity to help with any CC on the enemy team.
- Locket Of The Iron Solari- An instant shield to Protect yourself and/or your ADC from instant death, possibly saving their lives.
- Zeke’s Convergence- Gives your ADC a burning fire attack on hit when they use their ultimate ability, really good to increase the DPS of your ADC
- Watchful Wardstone- Gives decent stats for the money and offers an opportunity to hold more than two control wards at the same time
- Knight’s Vow- Shares the damage your ADC takes vs a burst-oriented team and directs a portion of it to you, making them tankier.
- Force Of Nature- Gives you a lot of magic resistance as well as flat reduced magic damage taken.
Other than these items though, Braum can also build Mobility boots, Evenshroud, Anathema’s Chains, Frozen Heart, Thornmail, Gargoyle Stoneplate, and Randuin’s Omen.
What Lane Is Braum?
As mentioned before, Braum works the best when he is played in the support role. His E is only meant to serve as a deterrent for helping carries survive auto attacks and certain abilities. His abilities are not very useful in a solo lane as they are clunky and do not assist in any form of wave clear. Braum is hence best played in the bottom lane with an ADC by his side.
When To Pick Braum?
Braum is a good pick into most ADCs that rely on specific spells or strategies to eliminate their opponents. A good example is how Braum can cancel an Ezreal looking to R your ADC by stopping his R dead in its tracks with his e. A similar case can be observed with most global ultimates including Ashe’s and Jinx’s
This is not to say that Braum isn’t a good pick into traditional ADCs like Twitch or Draven or Lucian, but Braum has a very particular playstyle that works better against and with some while poorer against others. You should also consider picking Braum when your team has a lackluster frontline in your other lanes as Braum is excellent at providing a meat shield for the whole team.
Braum is one of the champions in League of Legends that is often neglected due to the fact that he isnt as good as something along the lines of blitzcrank. But in my eyes, that is no reason to write him off. One should always be willing to try new champions and playstyles in order to see what one likes.
So, if after reading this guide, you feel like Braum isn’t the right champion for you, i would suggest still giving him a try before coming to a conclusion. Who knows, you might end up liking him!
We hope this article has helped you form a basic understanding of the depths of Braum and his kit, as well as enticed you enough for you to give him a try. Kindly leave any thoughts or suggestions you might have in the comments section down below. Until we meet again!