Ezreal is a peculiar phenomenon amid the vast pool of ADC champions that are currently found in League of Legends. Something about him makes him one of a kind among his fellow marksmen and if you are wondering what that something is, you’ve come to the right place.
To dive any further into the depths of Ezreal, you should first know that every marksman champion in the game relies purely on auto-attacking, barring a few. Ezreal is one of the exceptions to this rule; He functions in large part off of his Q damage, not his autoattacks.
This, in concept, is what makes Ezreal stand out from the pack and be able to identify himself as a truly demanding champion in terms of the skill required to pilot him.
This is what you should know about Ezreal as a champion in League of Legends
Ezreal is primarily an AD champion in LoL. He has AP ratios on all of his abilities but rarely is built with AP items (with some exceptions) because to function as a marksman, his AP ratios are toned down to keep him from invading the mid-lane with a potential burst mage playstyle.
Ezreal is also one of the few rare champions that are classified as AD spellcasters. This class of champions is rarely seen since this type of champion is unimaginably difficult to balance and maintain.
Ezreal is also one of the only botlane marksmen that can go truly defensive items like Randuins omen or Frozen Heart since his damage is not reliant on having 100% critical strike chance.
This kit gives birth to an increasing amount of skill expression; if you consistently land your spells you may do an obscene amount of damage and if you don’t, you won’t do any amount of damage at all. It is very similar to a battlemage along the lines of Ryze or Cassiopeia, however, it has its differences separating it from them as well.
What Are Ezreal’s Abilities?
P- Rising Spell Force
Ezreal gets a stack of Rising Spell Force for each enemy hit by his abilities, lasting for 6 seconds, resetting every time he attacks, and stacking up to 5 times. For each stack, Ezreal gets 10% bonus attack speed which can stack up to 50% at 5 stacks.
Q- Mystic Shot
Ezreal fires a magical arcane bolt in a target direction that deals physical damage only to the enemy it hits first and applies on-hit effects 100% effectively.
If his Q hits an enemy, the cooldowns of Ezreal’s abilities, alongside his Q’s, are reduced by 1.5 seconds.
W- Essence Flux
Ezreal throws a ring in the target direction that sticks to the first enemy champion, epic monster, or tower/Inhibitor hit for 4 seconds. A basic attack or ability on the target implodes the ring to deal bonus magic damage to them.
If the ring was used with an ability, Ezreal gains 60 mana as well as the mana cost of that ability.
E- Arcane Shift
Ezreal dashes from his current location to the target place then fires an untargetable shot towards the nearest enemy that deals magic damage and grants vision of the target for 1 second. His E prioritizes hitting at the nearest with a W ring on them.
Ezreal fires a banana-shaped yellow arcane bolt in the target direction, which grants sight over the areas it passes (since it is a global ultimate) and deals magic damage to all enemies hit by it.
Note that minions and non-epic monsters take 50% reduced damage from this spell.
Is Full AD Ezreal Worth It In LoL?
Full AD Ezreal isn’t the only way to play him, as mentioned before. However, due to certain conditions, playing him AP is the equivalent of handicapping yourself by choice. It is for this reason that I will continue to label full AD Ezreal as not only viable but incredibly rewarding to play.
Currently, Ezreal sits on a measly 48.72% winrate. Don’t let that fool you though, since this winrate is only a reminder of the dexterity required to play this champion. Remember, every champion who has a below 50% but above 47% winrate is meant to be handled with the utmost mechanical flawlessness.
This makes Ezreal truly a bang-for-the-buck champion; Putting the time in to master him won’t go to waste.
How To Play Full AD Ezreal In LoL?
If you are looking for a build for Ezreal that will dominate while working well in the current meta, We have it.
Best runes for Full AD Ezreal in LoL:
- Press The Attack- AA on-hit against enemy champions apply a stack for 4 seconds, stacking up to 3 times, with the time resetting upon applying the second stack. Attacking a new champion removes all stacks from the previous target. The third stack consumes all stacks to deal 40 − 180 (based on level) bonus Adaptive damage and makes the target exposed for 6 seconds, causing them to take 8% − 12% (based on level) more damage (except true damage) from all sources.
Note that this effect also applies on your Q but not on your E
- Presence of Mind- Scoring a takedown against an enemy champion restores 15% of your maximum mana after a 1-second delay.
Damaging an enemy champion increases your mana regeneration by 1.2 − 8.8 (based on level) mana per second for 4 seconds.
- Legend: Bloodline- Gain 0.4% life steal per Legend stack, up to 6% with 15 stacks. At maximum Legend stacks, gain 100 bonus health.
Gain Legend stacks for every 100 points earned, up to 15:
You will get 100 points for champion and epic monster takedowns
25 points for large monster kills and
4 points for minion kills
- Coup de Grace- Deal 8% increased damage (except true damage) to champions below 40% maximum health.
- Magical Footwear- After 12 minutes (reduced by 45 seconds whenever scoring a takedown against an enemy champion), you gain Slightly Magical Boots (an extra 10 movement speed compared to the ones available in the shop) for free.
- Biscuit Delivery- Receive a Total Biscuit of Everlasting Will at 2:00, 4:00, and 6:00. eating a Biscuit will instantly restore 40 mana and permanently increase your maximum mana by the same amount, in addition to it healing and increasing mana regeneration for a set duration. You will also gain the mana if you sell the biscuit.
For Bonuses, go AS, AD/AP, and Armour or Magic resist depending on the matchup.
Best item build for Full AD Ezreal in LoL:
- Trinity Force- Main source of damage and increased movement speed to catch up or run away from enemy champions when needed. Also a great source of tower damage.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity- Ezreal needs every bit of ability haste he can get since he is a spellcaster and relies on his spells to output his damage.
- Manamune- Huge power spike since it applies on every Q you throw at the enemy as well as every auto attack, dealing additional physical damage on top of all the preexisting damage.
- Serylda’s Grudge- Slows on every Q can be very helpful in hitting subsequent Q or R spells. Also a great source of armor penetration.
- Frozen Heart- Provides mana and hence more damage due to the mana scaling on manamune and tankiness against a heavy AD team that will want to dive in and try and oneshot you
- Maw of Malmortius / Ravenous Hydra- Huge magic damage shield to prevent getting oneshot by an enemy mage or AP assassin / A great source for Vamp from your build so you can stand a chance against heavy healing champions and avoid being poked out from fights by higher ranged ADCs or mages.
Other than these items though, Ezreal can go Essence Reaver, Duskblade of Draktharr, Prowler’s Claw, Divine Sunderer, and Crown of The Shattered Queen among other items.
What Lane Is Ezreal Played In?
Ezreal is primarily a botlane champion. He loves playing safe, contrary to most of his fellow ADC champions. He is probably one of the safest picks in the bottom lane that you can go. Ezreal has popped up in the midlane from time to time but it’s mostly ADC players tilting and thinking they can take their champions mid and succeed.
However, Ezreal mid can be playable into certain matchups. This guide has focused on the runes and items for Ezreal in the botlane. Consequently, that is where I will tell you to experiment with him since he is not the easiest ADC to pick up or master.
Ezreal is one of the hottest picks in the botlane. His attractive e-boy outlook might take him half the way there but his consistency and flexibility are what get him all the way. Ezreal is a champion to put on your ever-growing bucket list of champions, especially for players who are familiar with the ADC role and how frustrating it is to flip a coin every game to decide who got the better support.
I hope this article has served the purpose of educating the League masses about the basics of Ezreal and how his Kit is intertwined to work in the most magical way it can.
As always, if you liked the article or have any other comments or suggestions, kindly leave them down in the comments section. Till next time!