Twitch is not only the well-known streaming site, but he is the poison-spreading rat that can go invisible as well.
Twitch’s kit is based mainly on managing his Q stealth, spreading his passive to most enemies with W and R, and dealing maximum damage with his E. To better understand how to avoid mistakes when dealing with him, you have to study his abilities closely.
- Passive – Deadly Venom: Twitch’s basic attacks on-hit apply a stack of Deadly Venom (passive) for 6 seconds, stacking up to 6 times. The duration of Deadly Venom (passive) refreshes on subsequent applications. Deadly Venom (passive) is a poison. Each Deadly Venom (passive) stack deals「 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 (based on level) (+ 2.5% AP) true damage per second over 6 seconds, 」for a maximum of「 6 / 12 / 18 / 24 / 30 (based on level) (+ 15% AP) true damage with each tick 」at 6 stacks. The first 5 stacks on a target are indicated each by a small mark around them, while a target affected by the maximum stacks of 6 is indicated by a single large mark above them instead.
- Q – Ambush: After a 1-second delay, Twitch becomes camouflaged for a duration. Attacking or casting Venom Cask (W) or Contaminate (E) ends Ambush (Q) immediately. During Ambush (Q), Twitch gains 10% bonus movement speed, increased to 30% when he moves toward enemy champions within a 1000-range radius who cannot see him. Upon breaking stealth, Twitch gains bonus attack speed for 5 seconds. Ambush’s (Q’s) cooldown is reset if an enemy champion dies while afflicted with Deadly Venom (passive).
- W – Venom Cask: Twitch hurls a cask of venom at the target location, applying a Deadly Venom (passive) to all enemies hit within the area and granting sight of the area. The area then becomes contaminated for 3 seconds, applying a Deadly Venom (passive) stack each second to all enemies within and slowing them. Venom Cask (W) can apply a maximum of 4 Deadly Venom (passive) stacks per enemy.
- E – Contaminate: Twitch sends out a lethal toxin to each nearby enemy afflicted by Deadly Venom (passive), dealing each of them physical damage at the end of the cast time. Contaminate (E) deals additional physical damage and 33% AP magic damage for each stack of Deadly Venom (passive) on the target. A nearby enemy with Deadly Venom (passive) is required to cast this ability, and targets do not have to be visible to be affected.
- R – Spray and Pray: Twitch gains bonus attack damage and 300 bonus attack range for 6 seconds, during which his basic attacks are replaced by bolts that travel slightly further than his attack range in a straight line, dealing damage to every enemy unit they collide within their path. The bolts deal 100% − 60% (based on enemies hit) of the attack’s damage, apply on-hit effects at 100% effectiveness to all targets, and each attack can critically strike all its targets.
Countering Twitch’s Spells
Twitch’s Q gives him quite useful stealth ability, which even increases his movement speed. Be careful in the lane when you see the enemy support alone, Twitch might be trying a sneaky engage if the support is suddenly alone. Buying a pink ward for the lane will deny him from ambushing you. Avoid stacking in one line with other teammates against a Twitch. His ultimate gives him massive AOE damage potential, so do not make it easy for him. Try not to stack as a group as he will easily slow and apply poison to you with his Venom Cask (W).
Most Common Twitch Combos
During the game, he will often use Q as the beginning of his combos. Q > W > AA > R > AA > E, he will use this all-in combo in most of the team fights.
CC is often the answer to the problem, and it is not different with Twitch. Either you want to stop his damage while he used his R or just to stop him from running away, CC will be an excellent choice to consider when locking your champions with your teammates.
Since Twitch is played mainly as a jungler and an ADC, vision is often one of the best ways to keep him at bay. Well placed ward can spot him coming to your lane, and you will be aware that you should keep back or even try to cooperate with other teammates to catch him off guard. One of the most important things versus Twitch is pink ward because he can turn invisible with his Ambush (Q).
Twitch has no dashes or other ways of mobility. He only has increased movement speed while his Ambush (Q) is active. That makes him extremely vulnerable and an easy target to focus on in the teamfights.
The Best Twitch Lane Counters in Season 12
Caitlyn is moderately hard to learn, has few skill shots, and has simple mechanics. With the gold difference of +230 gold at the 15th-minute mark, Caitlyn is the champion that is an ideal pick against Twitch. She has a bigger range than Twitch and can poke him quite easily. Her traps (W) can reveal Twitch if he used his Ambush (Q) and stepped on a trap.
Draven is very hard to master, has many skill shots and complex mechanics. With the gold difference of +580 gold at the 15th-minute mark, Draven is the champion that will push out Twitch in the early game with his damage. His early game potential gives him an upper hand over Twitch because Twitch is scaling champion. Bullying Twitch in the early game and not letting him hit his power spikes is very easy with Darven.
Honorable mention: Lucian
Lucian is hard to play, has easy-to-hit skillshots and complex mechanics. With the gold difference of +260 gold at the 15th-minute mark, Lucian is another solid pick that you can choose against Twitch. Lucian has a heavy power spike at level two, which allows him to run an enemy Twitch with his Relentless Pursuit (E) and Piercing Light (Q) combo.
The Best Champions to Counter Twitch in Season 12
1. Tahm Kench
Topside king of tanks, Tahm Kench, provides excellent utility to initiate team fights, and his beefiness gives him time to survive most of the damage that Twitch has to use on him instead of on your squishy teammates.
The jungle is represented by Vi, who can gank the lane from positions you didn’t even think was possible to expect with any other jungler. Vi can surprise enemy Twitch from your side of the jungle near your tower as well as from side bushes. If she is fed, Twitch will have difficulty dealing with her because she will transfer from bruiser to unstoppable assassin. If she falls behind, she still has got utility with her ult. Vi is the definition of backline diver, with damage, good CC, and high mobility.
The mid-lane scaling champion that can snowball in a game and win it for his team due to his natural healing through his abilities. His Sanguine Pool (W) allows him to get out of sticky situations quite easily while also avoiding ganks from the enemy team. He can produce significant AOE damage to the enemy team due to his Ultimate Hemoplague (R) and Tides of Blood (E).
Best Items to Counter Twitch in Season 12
1. Control Wards
Pink wards are the best item to spend your gold on against Twitch. His Ambush (Q) gives him the potential to flank your team and deal massive damage to your whole team.
2. Health and armor items
All that gives some amount of health or armor is good. The harder to kill you are, the longer you can peel for your other teammates to kill Twitch.
Last but not least are items that will allow you to one-shot Twitch before he can do anything in the teamfight. In general, that means items that give you more DPS.
4. Guardian Angel or Zhonya’s Hourglass
These two items can save you from a sudden combo out of nowhere when Twitch uses his Ambush (Q) and Spray and Pray (R).
Twitch is the weak early game champion that is moderately hard to play. He is a scaling champion that has to be dealt with early, but after reading our guide, we firmly believe that you found a few tips that you can use next time to counter him.
Pick a champion within our recommended counters that you are most familiar with and feel most comfortable playing with. If you did not find any of your favorite champions from our list, try to pick something that has reliable CC or mobility.