We have enough trouble trying to climb our ways in season 12, so when League of Legends is not opening, we tend to get a bit angry. But be at ease! We’re here to discuss why this issue occurs and, more importantly, how you can fix it on your own. When League of Legends is not starting, the problem can be caused by several different factors. And it’s important to know how specific files can affect others. But even if you aren’t a tech wizard yourself, we’ll give you simple steps, and you can follow them to resolve this issue.
That said, let’s take a look at what exactly the “League of Legends not opening” problem is and how you can fix it!
Also read: What does L9 Mean in League of Legends?
How to Fix League of Legends Not Opening?
If you’re reading this article, the chances are that this has already happened to you. You click on the LoL icon, and the game never starts, right? You can’t see the client nor the game. And no matter how many minutes you’re waiting, nothing really changes.
So how do you fix this problem?
Well, because several factors can cause the “League of Legends not opening” issue, there are also multiple ways to resolve it. So let’s start with the simplest one and move down to the more complicated approaches.
Restart Your Computer
Although the option to restart your computer wasn’t invented to solve your League of Legends not starting problem, it really does help.
When you restart your computer, all the temporary data gets deleted. Some of this temporary data might have been corrupted and affecting LoL. This is very common, so it’s best to delete it right away. Restarting your PC also closes all the LoL applications that failed to open, so you can start anew.
Launch the Game from the Installation Folder
It’s also not uncommon for the shortcut icon to be the source of the problem. Unfortunately, it can also get corrupted easily and end up not working properly. As a result, it won’t respond when you click on it.
You can delete the LoL shortcut on your desktop or move it aside. Then, head over to your installation folder and launch the game via the “LeagueClient” application. And if this doesn’t work, you can try some of the other solutions on this list.
Also read: Is ProGuides Worth It? An Honest Review
Close All the Running Applications
If you’ve clicked on the LoL icon a bunch of times already, or if your PC has been working for a long time, the chances are that many applications are still running in the background. And closing them may let you start League of Legends. This is especially true if you’ve recently used Steam or Razer Synapse, which causes the issue for many people.
- Open “Task Manager” by right-clicking on your taskbar.
- Search for any LoL, Steam, or Razer Synapse application and close it.
- Go to the “Startup” tab and disable all the applications that aren’t essential.
- Close the Task Manager and launch the game via “LeagueClient.”
- Run the Game as Administrator
- On some PC systems, League of Legends is not opening because it requires more privileges. Running the game as an administrator can solve the problem if this is the case with you.
- All you need to do is right-click on the “LeagueClient” or the LoL icon and select “Run as Administrator.” Then, you can click “Yes” when asked whether you want the app to make changes. And hopefully, the game will start immediately!
- Reinstall the Game
- If none of the solutions above helped you, it’s wise to simply reinstall the game. Some game files may be too damaged, and they need to be replaced. Reinstalling the game is one of the surest ways to resolve the “League of Legends not opening” problem.
- Make sure you uninstall the game completely via Control Panel, then download it manually from the official site.
- Update the Game Client
- The League of Legends game client, especially the new one, is prone to many errors. Sometimes its .dll files get corrupted for no reason. And as a result, LoL won’t open. Updating the game client resolves this issue. Follow these steps:
- Head over to the League of Legends installation destination and open the “RADS” folder.
- Go inside “Projects” and delete the “lol_launcher” and “lol_patcher” folders.
- Go into the League of Legends installation folder and only delete the “aps_ms_win…dll” files.
- Launch the client by clicking on “LeagueClient.”
- Let the update process finish.
Also read: How to Beat Garen?
Replace the “Projects” Folder
In the “Projects” are hidden some files that are required for the game to launch. Repairing them can also solve the “League of Legends not opening” problems for some people.
- Open the “RADS” folder inside the game’s installation destination.
- Cut the “Projects” folder and paste it on your desktop.
- Launch the game via “LeagueClient” and wait for the update to start.
- While the game is updating, move the “Projects” file back in its original place.
- Choose to keep the first (the one you replace).
- The download should end immediately, and you can start the game.
- Update Your Graphics Card Driver
- If none of the solutions we listed above was helpful to you, then the problem lies in your graphics card. Most of the time, we forget to update our graphics cards. When the graphics card is out of date, bugs, errors, and problems like this are common. So make sure that your graphic cards are updated and that you’re running the latest driver.
- If you’re using an NVIDIA graphics card, we heavily suggest you download NVIDIA GeForce Experience. This is NVIDIA’s official software and can be used for free. In addition, you can connect your graphics card to it to receive news and driver updates as soon as they’re available. It’s easy to use and very helpful overall.
- And if you’re running an AMD graphics card, you can simply right-click on your desktop and open “AMD Radeon Settings.” Here you can check if there are available updates for your graphics card. Everything works automatically, and the only thing you’ll need to do is restart your PC after the driver is installed.
- We hope our solutions helped you fix the “League of Legends not opening” problem!