In League of Legends, you have two main currencies – Blue Essence and Riot Points. Over time, by playing LoL, you’ll naturally earn Blue Essence, so you may want to avoid putting your hard-earned money towards Blue Essence. Riot Points, on the other hand, is where the money is – these can be purchased with money and will speed up the process of getting the latest and greatest skins – they also come in handy if you want to change your summoner name.
You can only use RP in the LoL in-game store. Being that League of Legends isn’t a “pay-to-win” game, what you purchase with those Riot Points isn’t going to have any effect on your performance. Riot Points are for those who would like to quickly get their hands on a particular skin and change their summoner name or any of the above.
If you’re new to League of Legends, we understand the idea of Riot Points can be a tad bit confusing. To give you a helping hand, we have written this post to explain how Riot Points work, what you can purchase with them, and how you can get LoL Riot Points.
Riot Points – What are They?
Riot Points, as we explained in the beginning, are one of the currencies in LoL, along with Blue Essence. You can earn Blue Essence while playing League of Legends, but Riot Points are gained with real money.
You can use Riot Points on the LoL Riot Store – here, you can purchase skins, transfer your account to a different server, or change the name of your summoner.
What Can Be Purchased Using Riot Points?
Many cool things can be purchased using Riot Points, which is why they’re so popular. Some of the items include:
- Champion Skins
- Hextech Crafting Materials
- Special Bundles
- Ward Skins
- Rune Pages
- Experience Boosts
- Summoner Name Change
- Summoner Icons
- Account Server Transfer
How to Get Riot Points
In this section, you’ll find a breakdown of how to get LoL Riot Points.
Steps to Get RP in-Game
- Log into the LoL client.
- There’s an icon that looks like a small stack of coins – you can find it to the left of the screen at the top, above your Summoner name. Click on that little icon.
- At the top of the page, there’s a “Purchase RP” tab – click on that.
- You’ll be taken to a different screen. On the left of the page, choose your purchase method, and then choose the amount of RP you would like to buy.
- You will need to enter your card details and complete the purchase by clicking “Pay Now.”
- As soon as you make the purchase, the Riot Points will be added to your account. They can be found next to the Blue Essence icon at the top right of the screen.
Now that you have purchase LoL Riot Points, it’s time to spend them!
Apart from purchasing RP for yourself, you can also purchase gift cards to give your friends that play League of Legends. If you received a gift card, here’s how to redeem it:
- In the LoL client, click on the store button.
- Now, click on the “Account” button, which is at the right of your screen – it has a little present icon.
- Choose the “Redeem Codes” option.
- Enter the code and then click on “submit.”
As long as you entered the code correctly, the LoL RP will show up on your account immediately.
Now you know how the Riot Point system works in LoL. Go ahead and take a look at all of the cool stuff you can buy with Riot Points, and you’ll see that it is worth the money.